We’ve made a number of improvements to the IDEAL STEEL Hybrid over the
winter, and many were based on comments/suggestions from our beta
testers. We’ll try to cover some of the changes on this blog over the
next few weeks.
We eliminated hinges from the top. The top lid stands up in a slot, and two “bulbed” tabs (one on either side) hold it in place from side to side and prevent it from being removed (unless you lift the top lid to 45 degrees). This gives the top a cleaner look, is easy to manufacture, and relatively foolproof. It’s very similar to the system used on our Fireview and Progress stoves.
On early beta stoves, the outside burners were located by two socket head screws, but you had to remove the two outside burners before lifting the lid. Now the outside burners are located with flat head screws, and they don’t come off. Some beta testers didn’t like having to remove the burners before lifting the lid for combustor inspection.
We moved the door gasket in from the perimeter of the door, to just outside the glass. We get a better seal by moving the gasket inboard, and it is no longer visible from the front of the stove. Moving the gasket inboard also enabled us to fold the door latch plate under the edge of the door, rather than attaching it to the side of the stove. Again, yielding a cleaner finish.